Monday, January 15, 2007

The penalty against Newcastle

So I forgot to talk about the penalty in my previous post...

First, when it's a ball-to-hand incident, I am quite against awarding a penalty to the other team. Secondly, I thought Covic's footwork facing the penalty left much to be desired. To be honest, I considered that Colosimo would shoot to the left (i.e. 'keeper to dive to right) based on the approach he had to the ball (no angle) and that he's right footed. I don't like 'keepers to guess, but it can be read somewhat, roll the dice, eh? Just never guess during training.

Now back to Covic. Yes, he dived in the right direction, but he took a long time getting there. Why? Because his first move was a two-footed jump forward (to narrow the angle), followed by a push from the left foot to get to the right side of goal. Do it yourself, and you'll find it's two distinct movements. Considering it was likely that Colosimo would shoot to the right side of the goal ('keeper's p.o.v.), I would've taken one step forward with my left and then push off from that movement. Although it's still two moves, it can be far more fluid and consequently faster.

I suppose if Covic didn't read the kick or didn't want to gamble, then taking that two footed jump forward allowed him to reduce the angle and still gave him an option to go either left or right. However, since I did say out loud to my family to dive right, I'm not particularly happy with how Covic handled it. Heck, I could've been lucky to have 'guessed' which way Colosimo was going to shoot, but I doubt it. :-P Modest, aren't I? :-P :-P

2 comments:

The Round Ball Analyst said...

Scary,

Enjoyed the technical dissection.

Didn't look like the most cleanly struck penalty from Colosimo but the placement was decent. I think normally you'll find that Perth penalty takers are Despotovski and Young in that order, so Colosimo would have been down the pecking order a bit, so he'd probably just be happy to sneak it in.

Haven't analysed Coivic's effort to the degree you have, but as a former custodian who played in a era when keepers couldn't dance across their line (about 10 or so years ago), the natural first step in a penalty scenario was to do as Covic did, ie, jump forward with both legs and spring left or right from there. Ie, narrow the angle.

So was interested to read your thoughts that you would have sprung forward with the one leg, your left, and then deviated right from there.

Naturally, assume you would have gone with your right leg, and then sprung left from there if you felt it was going the other way.

From memory, never really tried this, and now, of course, I'm fascinated to know if it would have made a difference.

Was this something identified to you by a keeper coach or just something you developed? Come to think of it, I've seen quite a few top line keepers go the one foot route.

Tend to agree with this; 'I suppose if Covic didn't read the kick or didn't want to gamble, then taking that two footed jump forward allowed him to reduce the angle and still gave him an option to go either left or right.'

The motion to jump out and narrow the angle always bought a bit of guessing/reading the spot kick (or letting the natural reactions/gut-feel take over) time, I thought.

Cecilia said...

Didn't look like the most cleanly struck penalty from Colosimo but the placement was decent.

I think if the placement wasn't decent it would've gone out or been saved, but otherwise, yeah, it wasn't a very nicely taken penalty.

...but as a former custodian who played in a era when keepers couldn't dance across their line (about 10 or so years ago), the natural first step in a penalty scenario was to do as Covic did...

Yeah, I suppose back in those days you couldn't really move about much. Still, I would think Covic would move with the times, being a 'keeper who currently plays.

Was this something identified to you by a keeper coach or just something you developed?

This was something that I figured out/developed on my own. I had a really good coach at one club who taught me an awful lot during that season. Although he never played with my penalty footwork, it probably came naturally as the rest of my game/style developed/was corrected. I absolutely loved my training sessions with Mark, it's a shame I didn't have such a great time at the club he was coaching at.

I really respected Mark, and as I'm not playing at the moment would love to coach as I appreciated the time I had with him. If only the other clubs that I've played at (before and since) had true goalkeeping coaches of Mark's calibre...